How to Get a CT Real Estate License
In order to sit for the salesperson's license real estate exam, you must successfully complete a 60-hour Real Estate Principles and Practices Course that meets the minimum requirements as set forth by the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection Real Estate Commission. These classes can be live, in-person, or virtual-live. Subject matter includes:
- Real Property and the Law
- Concepts of Home Ownership
- Real Estate Brokerage
- Listing Agreements and Buyer Representation
- Interests in Real Estate and Forms of Real Estate Ownership
- Legal Documents
- Transfer of Title and Title Records
- Real Estate Financing
- Leases and Property Management
- Real Estate Appraisal
- Land Use Controls and Property Development
- Fair Housing and Ethics Practices
- Environment Issues and Closing the Real Estate Transaction
- Real Estate Investment
- Connecticut Licensing Law
- Real Estate Taxes & Liens
- Real Estate Contracts
While the course is intended to prepare individuals to take the Connecticut Real Estate Salesperson's exam, it is also an excellent choice for those who wish to gain more detailed knowledge about the home buying and home selling process.
For Salespersons and Brokers:
Download Exam Requirements and Application & Exam Procedures
Where to Take the Principles & Practices Course
Currently, CTR does not offer the Principles and Practices course. Here are a few options for locating a course offering near you:
- Community Colleges – Look for a 60-hour Real Estate Principles and Practices class “approved for pre-licensing”
- Local REALTOR® Boards – Click here for a list of local Boards/Associations throughout Connecticut who may be offering the course or can direct you to course offerings in their area. NOTE: Since virtual-live classes are approved, the school's physical location may not be a hindrance to taking the class.
- Local Real Estate Offices – Many times local real estate offices are aware of the course offerings.
- Generate a Roster of Approved Schools/Classes – Click this link from the State of CT to do a search of approved schools/classes in Connecticut. Follow these steps when generating your roster:
- On the upper right-hand side click ONLINE SERVICES and then click on GENERATE ROSTERS.
- Click on CONTINUING EDUCATION AND PRE-LICENSE COURSES.
- Check off the bottom box that says “REAL ESTATE PRE-LICENSE COURSES.” Scroll all the way to the bottom and hit CONTINUE.
- This will prompt you to download an Excel spreadsheet which shows all the Pre-License classes (for salespersons and brokers). Look for a 60-hour Principles and Practices.
Reciprocal License Information
Have a CT real estate license and want to practice in another state?
View a list of states with Reciprocity Agreements with Connecticut.
Have a real estate license in another state and want a Reciprocal license in CT?
Access the application and prerequisites.